Britannia III and Amigo are on standby, waiting for a good weather window, in Gran Canaria and La Gomera respectively. Winds have built to a strong 20 knots WSW over the past few days, the trade winds have dropped off, and both boats are waiting for a NE or ENE wind direction.
If you’re new to weather, check out the Surface Wind direction on our weather page. These lines indicate wind direction and speed rounded to the nearest 5 knots. The longest line points in the direction that the wind is blowing FROM. The shorter lines, called barbs, indicate the wind speed in knots (kts). The speed of the wind is determined by the barbs. Each long barb represents 10 knots with short barbs representing 5 knots.
Ole and Serge from Amigo are chomping at the bit to go and have been taking Amigo out most days in San Sebastian de la Gomera for training. Check out the Amigo Boat Prep Gallery for some pictures.
Britannia III is in the water in Puerto de Mogan, Gran Canaria and the crew are also eager to get going.
The Spanish port authorities in Tenerife (who cover La Gomera) issued a rule stating that any boat with more than 10 rowers has to be classed as a marine event and have a support yacht. Although our paperwork for Britannia III was in order, and almost signed off, we took the difficult decision to withdraw our application for Port Clearance with Tenerife and move to Gran Canaria. This decision was made to ensure the Amigo application didn’t suffer with their departure from La Gomera and for us to keep control of timings.
In the history of Ocean Rowing there has never been a rowboat with more than 12 crew leave from Tenerife waters in a year without an official race and therefore support yacht. However, we successfully made our application to Puerto de Mogan, Gran Canaria with no problems.
Britannia III was slightly damaged in transit from San Sebastian to Puerto de Mogan. She is now repaired and in the water, packed and on standby for the best possible weather to break the record.